Unsmoked Yerba Mate Mixed Starter Kit Kraus
Kraus is an Argentinian, fair and organic producer of unsmoked yerba mate. Almost all yerba mate is dried using smoke, but Kraus specialises in yerba mate dried without smoke. Instead it uses a system of hot water to dry the yerba using heat along. The result is a cleaner, fresher tasting yerba without a smoky overtone. Kraus is dedicated to sustainable farming, fair employment and organic yerba mate. A superior taste. This mixed starter kit comprises of everything you need to start brewing yerba mate, and a nice selection of yerbas to try:
- 500g Kraus Organic Yerba Mate. Loose leaf yerba mate with stems (con palos)
- 500g Kraus Organic Pure Leaf Yerba Mate. Loose leaf yerba mate without stems (sin palos). Low dust content
- 500g Kraus Pionero Yerba Mate. Loose leaf yerba mate with stems (con palos) a smooth, gentle blend
- 500g Kraus Silvestre Yerba Mate. Loose leaf yerba mate with stems (con palos) with a fragrant minty taste – delicious!
- Natural Gourd (cup to drink yerba mate)
- Stainless Steel Bombilla (straw with filtered end), 19cm length
For best taste and life of the gourd, it should be cured. See our instructions on how to do so. This mate is made from a hollowed out gourd, and therefore each cup will vary in size. The average dimensions of this mate cup are: Diameter at the widest point – 8.5cm Height – 9cm Volume – 250ml
Brewing Your Yerba Mate
The tradition of drinking yerba mate is such an important part of the South American culture. This is specifically true in Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, although in addition it is also enjoyed in other South American countries. Typically, yerba mate is drunk from a natural gourd (a hollowed out fruit) used as a cup. The resulting infusion is then sipped through a metal straw known as a bombilla that has a filtered end to separate the infusion from the yerba leaves. This happens while groups of friends and family get together to chat, and enjoy mate together.
With any purchase of loose leaf yerba, full photo instructions will be provided on how to brew the perfect yerba mate. So there is no excuse not to brew the perfect yerba mate! If you get it right, your yerba will always taste great, and last twice as long. Most of all, practice makes perfect!