This lovely seasonal recipe for dulce de leche and pumpkin pie perfect for the autumn when pumpkins are in abundant supply. Maybe you want to make a jack-o’-lantern and want to use the pumpkin?
Making a pumpkin pie is a great way to up your vegetable intake, and of course dulce de leche is great for calcium.. so its a dessert you don’t have to feel too guilty about eating! We found this dulce de leche and pumpkin pie is especially great because its often hard to find inspiration to make something new, and it is a fairly unusual pie.
This recipe does include making the shortcrust pastry from scratch, but of course this is also readily available at the shops and is extremely easy if missing out the pastry step. It isn’t even too difficult if making the pastry.
For the pastry
- 250g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 450g fresh pumpkin
- 350g dulce de leche
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 180C
To make the base:
- To make the pastry, dice the butter and put all ingredients in a food processor. Once it is thoroughly mixed it will resemble breadcrumbs. At this point add 2-3 tablespoons of water slowly. As the water is added the mixture will suddenly come together and this is when it is ready.
- Remove it from the food processor and knead slightly to get into unified ball. Chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes, this will make it easier to work
- Now get the pastry and roll out to fill your pie tin. This recipe uses a tin 30×20 cm. Be sure to well grease the tin, or use greasproof paper to line it. Fill the pie tin with the pastry and use your fingers to push the pastry into all corners and up the side. Prick all over with a fork. Cover in foil and weigh down (I used dried beans) and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Dice the pumpkin and add the dry ingredients (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, salt) and microwave for 20 minutes. After this the mixture can be mashed and mixed with a fork. Drain any excess water
- Mix in most of the dulce de leche, reserve a little for decorating. Set aside.
- Fill the pie case with your filling. Bake for around 50 minutes until the filling is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Decorate with the reserved dulce de leche
Tip! roast the pumpkin seeds in the oven at the same time as baking your pie. They make a great snack and the are a great way to utilise the whole pumpkin, and the oven heat.
Want to try this at home? Why not try our onda-onda Dulce de Leche
summary steps to make the perfect dulce de leche and pumpkin pie
- Roll out shortbread pastry case and blind bake 15 mins at 180c
- Stew 450g pumpkin with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a little salt 20 minutes in the microwave
- Mix almost a full jar of dulce de leche into the pumpkin mixture
- Fill the pie casing with the pumpkin mixture
- Bake 50 mins at 180C
- Cool and decorate with the rest of the dulce de leche